Doruk Işıkçı from South Africa!

 Hi everyone,

I am Doruk Işıkçı. I received my bachelor’s degree in the International Relationship Department of Ankara University Political Science Faculty and master’s degree in Political Science and International Relations at TOBB University. Currently, I do conduct my Ph.D. research on the role of civil society organisations (CSOs) in the nation-building process of South Africa. In this regard, while I conduct three case studies through participant observation, data collection from the official statements, and interviews in the targeted CSOs, I also employ survey-based research as complementary data in the various parts of South Africa.

My interest in South Africa dates to my bachelor’s degree when I had worked as an intern at the Institute of African Studies of Ankara University. The most important contribution of this process in which several activities and events had been held was making a network with the scholars who study Africa in Turkey. Over the years, my interest in South Africa that starts as a curiosity has turned into a passion and shaped my reading preferences. Particularly, identity politics and the process of nation-state construction have formed my focus. Moreover, a literature review on identity politics and the process of nation-state construction shows that South Africa has the potential to be a challenge in terms of nationalism theories, therefore, allows investigating many theories and ideas. Then, another question started fascinating me: How accurate is a definition that regrades the power of nationalism to nation-state institutions? What is the role of civil society initiatives, which are considered to be an essential sign of democratization processes?

Considering the relatively recent history and socio-economic problems of South Africa, I problematize the highly cited and regarded concept of civil society and its role in creating a shared public sphere, establishing harmony amongst different ethnic, cultural, and racial groups, and contributing to the vision of a united nation (in South Africa and elsewhere). Therefore, I am examining how, and why – if at all – civil society organisations engage with diversity, social cohesion, and hence democratic values, tolerance, and trust. Thus, my main aim in this study is to review the problems of South Africa from another perspective by including the theories of nationalism in the equation between civil society and democracy.

Thus, it is investigated how the empirical reflections of various theoretical debates and normative claims on nationalism and civil society in South Africa through case studies and surveys. I focus on CSOs in three chosen areas: right-oriented CSOs, sports organisations, charitable organisations. While all three areas are considered vital domains of the South African civil society in the media as well as academia, each area has presented another variant of the theoretical discussions.

Unfortunately, similar to what happened globally, my work that I started in December 2019 was interrupted by the pandemic and the ongoing lockdown regulations announced in March 2021 although the conditions were relaxed. Especially in the first year of the pandemic, I had to postpone my fieldwork due to the strict curfew rules. Moreover, during my preliminary fieldwork and pilot, which I started in November 2020, I became infected and had to take another break.

However, by presenting the first studies made in July 2021 to my department, I received my approval both on the content of the study and on ethics. As of September 2021, I have started my fieldwork on charitable organisations in the Western Cape region. Thus, I both experience what it is like to be in civil society as a volunteer, and I get more in-depth information about the subject from the participants by making interviews. At the same time, I am trying to determine the main trends in these areas by applying a 93-item survey to the CSOs in these three civil society domains.

For both my studies and your questions on South Africa, please contact me: dorukisikci@gmail.com

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ahmed Çağrı İnan from Malaysia

Tufan Kutay Boran from Indonesia!

Gizem Bütün from Indonesia