Gizem Bütün from Indonesia

         Hi everyone, from Bandung, Indonesia! 

I am Gizem Bütün, I obtained my B.A in International relations from Gazi University with an honors degree. Due to my high GPA during my bachelor, I also was accepted and completed minor degree in economy in Gazi University as well.

First and foremost,  I would like to express my deepest gratitude to The Republic of  Turkey Ministry of National Education (Directorate General for Higher Overseas Education ) for providing scholarship that led the opportunity to improve my academic education. In addition, I would like to thank Ankara Social Sciences University-Regional Studies Institute for the blog platform to share our experiences in abroad.

Before moving to Indonesia I lived in USA  for six months and completed Academic Language Course provided by YLSY scholarship  in The University of Alabama in August 2019. At present, I have been living in Indonesia for two years and, I freshly graduated from master program in the department of political science majoring in international relations at Padjadjaran University (Universitas Padjadjaran-UNPAD) which is one of the well-known universities in Indonesia with a high rank. Currently, I have applied Ph.D. program at the same department at Unpad.  

My master thesis titled, “Indonesian Foreign Policy towards China’s New Silk Road in Maritime Security between 2014-2019 which is the first period of President Joko Widodo. I published in a journal as a part of my research titled, “Indonesian Foreign Policy Maintaining in Maritime Security Towards China’s New Silk Road”.

During my research,  I examined  to what extent  Indonesia Foreign Policy towards China’s New Silk Road to maintain maritime security due the fact that Maritime Silk Road and Indonesian Maritime Domain has overlapping area and BRI infrastructure investment funded by AIIB( Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank) which later has become  key tool to improve connectivity between and within the islands of Indonesia as an part of primary policy of Joko Widodo, GMF(Global Maritime Fulcrum).

At this point, I have analysed two main factors in decision-making process which are internal and external factors given the history of  Indonesia-China relations. Also, how the position of unsolved maritime security problem such as South China Sea Dispute, Natuna island and IUU Fishing  (illegal, unregulated and unreported fishing) have been  affected  by this project is discussed from Indonesian perspective. Ultimately, my research concluded that in first period of president Joko Widodo, foreign policy was highly positive towards China’s New Silk Road project. However, concerns have increased among elites, some scholars and public because of the dept-trap policy, fear of China’s economic dominations with exploiting natural resources in particular in Maritime domain. Jakarta is also aware of negative affects however, has been trying to maximize profits while avoiding harmful implications.

 Besides, the strategic position of Indonesia in Indo-Pacific supports Indonesia’s bargain ability to receive what they demand. My research is so extensive to give complete analysis in this post. For those who have further questions about research can contact to me via : gizembutun@gmail.com.

Another point that I want to mention during my journey in Indonesia is Covid-19. Unfortunately, after approximately four months  since I arrived Indonesia, Covid raised in Indonesia and ended up long lockdowns. Although this situation put  me down I never gave up and tried turned to this into my advantage. I focused on my research and used online sources as much as possible to improve my knowledge about the area. My recommendations to people who wants to continue their academic progress are  to overcome negativities and  never giving up. Have a nice day..


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ahmed Çağrı İnan from Malaysia

Tufan Kutay Boran from Indonesia!

Doruk Işıkçı from South Africa!